Freedom Trail Run is a 5k running tour of Boston’s historic "Freedom Trail". We show you all of our city's most famous sites while you enjoy a fun workout! Registration includes a cozy running shirt, choice of finish line drink, plus a scenic harbor ferry ride!
You don't have to be a fast runner! We run at a relaxed pace (typically 10 - 12 min/mile) and re-group 16 times during the tour, so runners of all abilities can participate and have fun. You can do this!
We're honored to have 700+ 5-star reviews.
2 Hour Guided Run
Cozy Run Shirt
Choice of Drink
Harbor Ferry Ride
Run Start: Boston Common (Park & Tremont St)
Run Finish: Charlestown Navy Yard (then we take ferry back)
Ferry Dock: Long Wharf (near Aquarium)
Duration: 2 Hours (i.e. we get off ferry 2 hours after start)
MBTA: Take Red Line to Park St
Parking: Boston Common Garage (near start)
1. When are the runs? We run every Saturday @ 8:30am.
2. Where is the meeting spot? We meet on Boston Common at the corner of Park St & Tremont St [meeting location details]. Arrive at least 15 minutes early to check in.
3. How do I indicate my t-shirt size? We stock shirts in every size and hand them out at the end of the run.
4. How long is the run? We run a 5k course (3.11 miles).
5. What should I bring? Is there a bag check? You don't need to print your ticket, your name will be on our guest list when you arrive. Come dressed for the weather and ready to run. We don't have lockers or storage. Bring a few extra dollars in case you want to tip the guides.
6. How long does the tour take? The entire tour takes two hours (i.e. we get off the ferry two hours after we start). If you sign-up for a run that start @ 8:30a, you'll be done @ exactly 10:30a. Here's the breakdown: the running part takes 1.5 hours (we run a 5k course and stop for 4-5 minutes at 16 historical sites), then we stop for drinks at the end of the run (15 mins) then we ride the ferry back to downtown Boston (15 mins).
7. Can walkers sign-up? This is a running tour, so you'll need to be able to comfortably run 3 miles in order to keep up with the group and hear the guides. We run at a relaxed pace (typically 10-12 min/mile) and re-group 16 times along the way, so no one gets left behind. We recommend that non-runners consider riding a bike. Boston’s bike sharing service, Bluebikes, has a station near our start and our finish. We’ve had quite a few customers ride their bikes over the years and they had a good experience. If you plan to ride a bike please let us know via the contact page.
8. Can kids run? Can we run with a stroller? Children of any age are welcome to run with their parents. Kids in strollers are free.
9. What's the longest distance we run without stopping? The longest leg is from the Copp's Hill Burying Ground in the North End to City Square in Charlestown which is 1/2 a mile.
10. What happens if it rains? We still run. All runs are held rain/snow or shine! If conditions are not to your liking, we'd be happy to reschedule you to another run if you contact us at least two hours before the scheduled start. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to re-book.